Sheppey RFC Senior Men’s Selection Guideline. Jan 2013
1. This is the Selection Guidelines for Senior Men’s Sides; it seeks to strike an appropriate balance between meeting current requirements and planning for future needs.
2. Sheppey RFC Senior Teams Selection Committee will be a Sub-committee reporting through the Director of Rugby to the General Committee and will consist of: -
a. Head Coach
b. Asst Coach
c. 2nd XV Coach
d. Senior team manager
3. Team selection will be based on the following criteria:
a. The Senior Teams will be selected to win the next round of fixtures. Players will be selected on suitable ability, known availability and registration (when required) related to that fixture.
b. Whilst there is not a “no train, no play” Guideline in place, attendance and commitment to training will be taken into consideration.
c. Whenever possible, a general Guideline of youth and development will be a consideration for continuity of the Senior Teams. Age will not be a barrier to selection, subject to RFU restrictions on young players.
d. The Colts Coaches are invited to recommend youth players, who have turned 17, for senior selection.
e. No colt will be selected for a Senior Team without prior consultation with the Colts Coaches. They must also be registered, where required, and the Club have written parental consent if under 18 years of age.
f. The Selection Committee will endeavour to explain its selections to individuals, where appropriate. Also, any Player is to be encouraged to seek any further guidance, from Senior Coaches and/or D.O.R , as and when any need requires.
g. If a player is dropped from the previous side and he is available, he should expect to be selected to start for the next lower side for the following fixture.
h. If a player is selected as a substitute and is available, he will be asked to start for that side or the next lower side for the following fixture. He should only substitute on consecutive fixture by exception and his agreement.
4. Whereas, in general terms, it is the Club’s ambition for each Senior Side is to play at the highest level attainable, the Selection Committee should establish annual targets and objectives to be agreed with the General Committee. These objectives should be recognised during the course of the Sub-committee’s duties and referred to, as and when appropriate, within a monthly report to the General Committee.
5. The Club will attempt to register all appropriate Players but individuals are also encouraged to ensure that they are registered as a Senior Player for Sheppey RFC.
6. Selection will be from paid members of Sheppey RFC. A Player is deemed to be a member when he has put in place an appropriate Direct Debit/monthly cash or paid in full his membership fee, in accordance with a cut off date and annual subscription fees set by the General Committee.
7. Players should inform Coaches regarding their availability and fitness for selection at the earliest opportunity. The emphasis placed on all Players is that they make themselves available for selection and training to best support the Club’s playing ambitions.
8. Selection will take place at a time to be agreed by the prevailing Sub-committee. Currently, after training on Tuesday evening.
9. Team selections will be posted on the Club website as soon as possible following selection.
10. This Selection Guideline will be reviewed from time to time and in any event at the beginning of each playing season.
11. The Selection Committee will endeavour to follow the above Guideline and guidance from the General Committee at all times. However, it is inevitable that some policies may on occasion conflict. In such circumstances, the D.O.R will act as he sees fit, but fairly and reasonably.
Director of Rugby